Interior Door gasket and window channel replacement

You guys asked for it, so here it is. I'll try to get pictures here eventually. BTW, this is the procedure as performed to a 1980 528i w/ power windows. Procedures may change slightly for different cars, or if you have manual windows.


The interior door fabric covered gasket

The door gasket I am referring to is the one on the interior, not on the door. It is covered in fabric and runs along the frame. It is avaiable from Restoration Specialities and Supply. Its called Windlace and comes in several colors and is sold by the foot. Figure about 25 feet or so for all 4 doors. This stuff is real nice, BETTER than original. The OEM stuff is just the fabric covered piece. This windlace is the fabric, plus an additional round rubber gasket. Until I get pictures, this crappy drawing will have to do.

----------------------- Sideview
Original stuff - U
Windlace - UO

The window channel

This stuff is available from Restoration Specialities and Supply. too, however, I've never used it yet. I've got a sample and it looks good. Only problem is, it needs to be cut, mitered and glued. If you get OEM stuff ($$$), this is already done for you. Figure $50 each for OEM stuff and about half that for the genereic stuff by the foot. Will put the RS&S part number here soon.


The interior door felt covered gasket

This is easy. Remove the old stuff, install the new stuff. Really its that easy. A couple things though. Make sure you cut the gasket to the correct size. I just put it on the car uncut and then cut it at the appropriate spot. You'll probably need tin snips or maybe a dremel to cut it. Also, you will need to do some maneuvering to get it to fit under the B-pillar and some trimming to get it under the door sill cover.

The window channel

You are on your own if you need to cut and miter and glue the genereic stuff. I haven't done this yet. Once you'e done that or if you have the OEM stuff, this is what you do.
Remove the door panel. (I won't go into that). Remove the plastic (if you have it). Remove the aluminum trim from the window sill (4 srews). After that is off, remove the felt piece from the sill. This gives you room to maneuver.
Now you have two choices. I've done this two ways. On my first one, the window was coming off its rests (glued on), so I just removed the whole window, ripped out the old channel, put the new one in. Then I needed to reinstall the window, not exaclty the reverese of removal. Its tough getting it in the right spot, but you can do it. After the window was in, I reglued it to its rests, and waited two days. Good as new.
The other option, actually is easier. The window was secure on its rests, so I left it in. Lower the window. Start ripping out the old channel from the top. If you pull hard enough, it will slide out of its channel. (Mine was in especially bad shape, so it was easy.) Be careful now, the window of course is fragile. Getting the new gasket in takes some work. I used some silicone spray to lube up the rubber side of the channel. Then lined it up with the window and slide it down into its place. You can only push it from the top so far, then you have to raise the window, and pull down on it from the bottom. Eventaully you get it into place. Use enough silicone spray to make it slide in easy, but not too much so slides out too easily.
You will probably need to raise and lower the window a couple of times, and work with the channel to get it in the exact right position, but its fairly easy to do.


Its fantastic. The car is vastly quieter, and I've only done the fronts so far. The doors close with no problem. Windows go up and down very nicely. If you have a bad window motor, you'll know for sure now, cause it will really have a hard time getting all the way up. Figure about 1 hour per door to do both the window channel and the interior door gasket. Hope this helps. Email me with questions at