You read that right, SUCCESS has been had!
I got the thing cleaned, sprayed with WD40 then put back into the car. It was locked I would say mostly into the downward position. I could see the toothed gear and mech where it was supposed to move to raise or lower. I tried like hell to just pry it up ...
Search found 64 matches
- Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:55 am
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Drivers seat tilt lever rear portion stuck?
- Replies: 2
- Views: 75
- Sat Sep 26, 2026 9:59 am
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Drivers seat tilt lever rear portion stuck?
- Replies: 2
- Views: 75
Re: Drivers seat tilt lever rear portion stuck?
Ive got the seat out and mechanism off of the seat. It was gummed up with old grease and packed full of pet hair. Ive power sprayed that off and am letting it dry. My plan is to put it back into the car and mount it down so I can forceably move the rear mechanism upward.
The whole mechanism is not ...
The whole mechanism is not ...
- Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:38 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Drivers seat tilt lever rear portion stuck?
- Replies: 2
- Views: 75
Drivers seat tilt lever rear portion stuck?
I honestly didnt know that if you pulled back on the tilt lever the rear portion of the seat either raised or lowered. Pushing the lever forward DOES work properly, it uses the weight of the person in the seat to counterbalance and raise or lower the pitch of the front of the seat. As mentioned in ...
- Wed May 05, 2021 5:57 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Re: Intermittent Starting Issue
Battery settled to 12.45v on Sunday evening. Wednesday evening the voltage was 12.19v. Seems a little more drain than usual, but Ill figure that out if needed later. I turn the key and it starts. Let it run for a bit to charge the car back up some. Shut if off and let it settle down again, this time ...
- Sun May 02, 2021 6:21 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Re: Intermittent Starting Issue
Ok so here we go, maybe, hopefully?
Spent some time on the car today and replaced the Neutral Safety Switch. Not too much of a pain, but do not forget to replace the spring for the shifter button before you reassemble it.... So I got that in, with a new spring, and all cleaned up. I was listening ...
Spent some time on the car today and replaced the Neutral Safety Switch. Not too much of a pain, but do not forget to replace the spring for the shifter button before you reassemble it.... So I got that in, with a new spring, and all cleaned up. I was listening ...
- Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:35 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Re: Intermittent Starting Issue
I looked into purchasing one of those last night, then found one on ebay, NOS for $40 shipped so why not I guess.
I am really leaning towards the safety switch myself. When investigating the part, I also notice something that I think is missing with my gear lever. Theres no button underneath. I had ...
I am really leaning towards the safety switch myself. When investigating the part, I also notice something that I think is missing with my gear lever. Theres no button underneath. I had ...
- Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Re: Intermittent Starting Issue
I went to move it this morning after sitting for 3 days, fired right up....
its an automatic transmission, so the safety switch is a strong possibility. I do believe, but need to double check, that when I try and start the car the lights dim on the cluster, and I have to think the headlights do ...
its an automatic transmission, so the safety switch is a strong possibility. I do believe, but need to double check, that when I try and start the car the lights dim on the cluster, and I have to think the headlights do ...
- Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:34 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Re: Intermittent Starting Issue
Now that I think about this, the whole column comes out pretty easily. I never had it all the way out, but I have dropped it down to get the cluster out more than a few times. Geez, now im wondering, this could be simple as a bad spade connection at the end of the ignition harness.
I will most ...
I will most ...
- Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Re: Intermittent Starting Issue
Quite honestly, it seems is has to be something like that. Ive replaced everything under the hood thats even remotely related to starting the car. I will try and check schematics, but I thought there might also be some sort of starting relay under the knee kick panel on the drivers side. Ive seen a ...
- Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:25 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Intermittent Starting Issue
- Replies: 10
- Views: 27917
Intermittent Starting Issue
For years I have been having the same starting issue. Im not sure why, but sometimes the car just will not start. Ill get it started randomly, drive it around, see the alternator charging and all seems well. I can sometimes shut if off, let it sit and start it right back up. This has just happened ...
- Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Fuel Gauge Problem
- Replies: 5
- Views: 11001
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem
If youve already checked the gauge wiring and such mentioned above and everything seems fine, try this:
remove the 4 nuts that hold the sender in place
Pull it up but not all the way out of the hanger pump, and let the gas drain out of the sender
you can turn the key to the run position in the car ...
remove the 4 nuts that hold the sender in place
Pull it up but not all the way out of the hanger pump, and let the gas drain out of the sender
you can turn the key to the run position in the car ...
- Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:47 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: now it's the starter....
- Replies: 3
- Views: 8796
Re: now it's the starter....
Its easy peas to get the starter out if you ask me.
Go check the tool box in the trunk, the bent wrench you are after is in there.
Its two nuts on the starter to get it out, that wrench will reach both. sure its tight, and you can only get maybe a 1/4 turn each time, but once the nuts are started ...
Go check the tool box in the trunk, the bent wrench you are after is in there.
Its two nuts on the starter to get it out, that wrench will reach both. sure its tight, and you can only get maybe a 1/4 turn each time, but once the nuts are started ...
- Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: '81 windscreen wipers
- Replies: 11
- Views: 32048
Re: '81 windscreen wipers
after breaking a post in the wiper assembly and ordering a new one, I finally got this fixed today.
The main issue from what Ive seen isnt the wiper assembly being gummed up, its the worm screw/gear mechanism that the wiper motor drives thats the issue.
I pulled the can off the wiper motor and ...
The main issue from what Ive seen isnt the wiper assembly being gummed up, its the worm screw/gear mechanism that the wiper motor drives thats the issue.
I pulled the can off the wiper motor and ...
- Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:44 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: '80 528i Fuel Sender float wires
- Replies: 6
- Views: 14628
Re: '80 528i Fuel Sender float wires
Found it on Amazon
I actually purchased a sampler of Nichrome in various gauges. I think the total was less than $20 shipped
I actually purchased a sampler of Nichrome in various gauges. I think the total was less than $20 shipped
- Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 am
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: '81 windscreen wipers
- Replies: 11
- Views: 32048
Re: '81 windscreen wipers
I just ran into this same issue a few weeks back and replaced these rubber dampers just yesterday. The orignals just turned into a crumby mess and fell right out.
If you try to just tighten the nuts down from the outside, youll snap your spindle, trust me on that one, LOL. New spindle ordered ...
If you try to just tighten the nuts down from the outside, youll snap your spindle, trust me on that one, LOL. New spindle ordered ...