I'm reading this gasket goes on dry. The one I spent an hour and half a can of brake cleaner removing certainly didn't.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=11_0468
What's the consensus? The blue manual doesn't mention any sealant or dressing.
Oil Filter Housing/Head Gasket
Oil Filter Housing/Head Gasket
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
1981 528i Manual
-
PatinaBeforePolish
- Posts: 393
- Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:22 pm
- Location: Baltimore, Md.
Re: Oil Filter Housing/Head Gasket
Dry and follow torque specs. Never had a leak there, but always a small leak around the rubber o ring housing gasket.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
Re: Oil Filter Housing/Head Gasket
Thank you, sir. I ended up using a small amount of Curil T on the gasket, which is high temp and non-curing. I've never used it before, and I was basically trying to hedge my bets. Any reason this was a bad idea based on experience? If so, I can replace.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
1981 528i Manual
-
PatinaBeforePolish
- Posts: 393
- Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:22 pm
- Location: Baltimore, Md.
Re: Oil Filter Housing/Head Gasket
I don’t think you can go wrong with a small amount of Curil-t, it’s known to work well.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
Re: Oil Filter Housing/Head Gasket
Don't bet it it not having gone on dry, some of those gaskets have a coating on them from new, such as intake manifold and are an absolute bear to get off.528i-1981 wrote: Sat Dec 27, 2025 6:45 pm I'm reading this gasket goes on dry. The one I spent an hour and half a can of brake cleaner removing certainly didn't.
Doesn't seem to be a problem with leaking, but I use Permatex #3, Aviation, on it and many things.https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=11_0468
What's the consensus? The blue manual doesn't mention any sealant or dressing.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.