Page 1 of 1

how do you replace a fan clutch?

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:59 am
by Sev
Well I'm trying to get the car in a working condition, and I have all the parts I need. I'm stock in changing a simple fan clutch. As I put the 13mili socket on the fan clutch bolt, and I turn it right, but it doesn't loosen up. I just end up cranking it. I couldn't even find a ranch sized to try to hold the 4 nuts on the pull. Any suggestions?



Thank you
Sev

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:50 am
by T.Hanson
https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/057en/index.htm

Read there are two types of fan clutches, how to remove and install the one you have. Not having the proper tools makes things more difficult.

After that you'll be removing the radiator. The fan shroud comes out after the radiator. Find a nice big piece of cardboard to use when lifting out the radiator to protect the fins.

While out, stick the hose in the top of the radiator until it runs clear. Put it all back together according to instructions, then read how to bleed the system.

Besides the coolant mess clean up it's just patience, fumbling with the radiator and shroud, making sure the new clutch is on tight. 3 to 4 hours.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:39 pm
by Sev
I have taken everything out, even removing the ac condenser. However, the fan clutch is an issue here. I looked up the link, but i can't find the content for removal of any of the parts around there.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:25 pm
by T.Hanson
One type has a center hex bolt in the front center that goes through a fat stepped spacer. That's the proper sized box wrench, lefty loosey. The trick is if what it bolts into turns, like the water pump pulley, you have to stop it from turning using a rag and vice grips, or...invent.

The other type has a flat (thermo) strip across the front with a big hex nut in the back for fastening to the water pump. That's where the flat bar tool comes in handy for holding the pulley (bolts) while loosening ( RIGHTY loosey) the big nut.

There's an outside chance Google searching previous post archives will have an entry with photos.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:37 pm
by T.Hanson
Just for grins, is this fan clutch by chance in the snout of the car you have posted that was sat on by an elephant ?