Search found 292 matches

by Robert Bondi
Fri Sep 25, 2026 11:11 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: Hard Warm Start
Replies: 7
Views: 9581

Re: Hard Warm Start


I did confirm proper cold-start valve operation using an LED. The problem appears to be an undercharged battery. My trips in the E12 are all short and sporadic, with sometimes weeks between. My battery today was showing 12V on a voltmeter, but my smartcharger said 80%. After it was topped, I took ...
by Robert Bondi
Tue Sep 08, 2026 1:22 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch


I can almost hear the telltale sound, upon removing trim parts, of rust rain pattering on your well-intentioned piece of under-car cardboard. A good horsehair broom is your companion when exploring previously unseen regions of an E12. It totally stinks and I feel your pain. Did your US 530 have ...
by Robert Bondi
Tue Sep 08, 2026 1:00 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: Hard Warm Start
Replies: 7
Views: 9581

Re: Hard Warm Start

Did you ever try your warm start with the cold start injector unplugged? I'm also wondering if you've determined whether the issue is actually a lean problem or a flooding situation?

A few other thoughts on your problem:

1. For fuel priming in a troubleshoot situation, I like to jump AFM pins 36 ...
by Robert Bondi
Mon Jun 15, 2026 4:30 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

I knew body work was coming, but a closer look at the front end really made it clear that installation of the AC condensor really forces the issue now. On my Euro car, the upper front apron is really gone and there is some nice previous owner work on the passenger front corner....the bright orange ...
by Robert Bondi
Sat Apr 04, 2026 1:50 pm
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

Theotherotter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 9:20 pm Outstaning content - thanks for documenting this.
No problem. The obscure interchange possibilities are often invaluable for future attempts.
Robert
by Robert Bondi
Mon Mar 30, 2026 12:04 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

Here are a few more interior side completion pics. I'm calling this the AC half system. I brought the aluminum hard lines (Vintage Air) through the firewall and placed the Vintage Air drier as well. Routing follows very closely the stock E12 system using my 530i for reference. The half system is ...
by Robert Bondi
Sun Mar 29, 2026 10:45 pm
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

The AC project is now half complete with everything done on the interior side. It's worth highlighting some of the work on the evaporator box where a bit of creativity was required. Having acquired 3 different boxes, I was able to choose the most appropriate and best condition unit to rebuild. I ...
by Robert Bondi
Sun Jan 11, 2026 11:59 pm
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

Hey Eric. Not yet, but getting there.... My strategy is doing all the interior work as the first phase of the project. I'm currently bending the aluminum hard lines going through the firewall. The second phase of the AC will be doing all the work in the engine bay beyond the receiver/drier. I'm ...
by Robert Bondi
Thu Dec 04, 2025 4:16 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

Heater core enclosure now rebuilt and installed. I had acquired a used box from a 79 528i to rebuild on the bench and swap in. This component was fairly straight-forward. I took everything apart, cleaned it, and lubricated moving parts. The heater fan motor was new as of 2018 and reused. New parts ...
by Robert Bondi
Fri Aug 29, 2025 12:12 pm
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: Alternator Not Charging
Replies: 6
Views: 143666

Re: Alternator Not Charging

Yeah, there are plenty of workarounds, but you do need that voltage drop there in a closed circuit to start the alternator. A workaround could be wiring another bulb or resistor in place of the instrument cluster bulb. I think it's the only thing in the cluster that's more than just driver ...
by Robert Bondi
Thu Aug 21, 2025 4:35 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: A/C installation from scratch
Replies: 20
Views: 166544

Re: A/C installation from scratch

I've finally shifted my focus back to the AC installation on the Euro restoration car. Talking with Ken (0257) back and forth on the refresh of his AC system over the last year helped me plan and solidify what needs to be done. The interior really boils down to acquiring/rebuilding these three ...
by Robert Bondi
Thu Jun 19, 2025 2:15 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: swapping alternator diode rectifier plate
Replies: 7
Views: 123559

Re: swapping alternator diode rectifier plate

Follow up on the alternator replacement:

I sourced a third rebuilt unit of this 80A alternator direct from Germany. Unlike the Bosch units, the voltage difference between the B+ and D+ terminals is about 0.1V at various operating conditions, which is definitely better. It seems to be charging the ...
by Robert Bondi
Tue May 20, 2025 2:30 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: swapping alternator diode rectifier plate
Replies: 7
Views: 123559

Re: swapping alternator diode rectifier plate


Bravo, Robert, your meticulousness is always appreciated. Do you know if this would be the same with the AL41X on the 1979-81? Is that merely a 65-amp variant of the AL46X?


I suspect these Bosch alternators are fairly similar and you could follow the same procedure with the appropriate ...
by Robert Bondi
Sun May 11, 2025 3:11 am
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: swapping alternator diode rectifier plate
Replies: 7
Views: 123559

Re: swapping alternator diode rectifier plate

I think the problem is solved. I acquired a second rebuilt AL46X alternator from FCP Euro and it was electrically the same, so I decided to fix one of them. My interpretation of all this is that Bosch is not rebuilding the alternators to original specs. The rebuilt alternator charges and passes an ...
by Robert Bondi
Sat Apr 26, 2025 6:09 pm
Forum: Tech Forum
Topic: fuel door spring
Replies: 8
Views: 114746

Re: fuel door spring

Unfortunately, the older E12s before the facelift are even rarer here. I've only got side doors on my 77s.

It's a long shot, but try looking through the vehicle index here for the early models. Ulrich went around the world cataloging every E12 variant he could find. He did a photoshoot on mine and ...