I have a '76 530i, I changed the oil today, but when I went to install the filter (Mann H 1038) it was too large. The old filter that was in there was a Mann H 930/3, is this the correct oil filter for this car? Are there other filters that will fit, if so what are the part numbers?
Thanks
Oil Filters
A quick search confirmed what sounded right, you have the later oil filter. Some years were iffy, but I think 76 was definitely old style. Someone did you a big favor, I presume it has an aluminum canister with a bolt that goes in the top? The old style are vile, you have to lay on your back and compress a spring while aligning everything and threading a bolt in. Order a newer filter, one from say an 80 528i. Or a E28 533i. Aluminum with top bolt = late 70's to late 80's. Red (usually, I painted one) steel canister with a bottom bolt = late 60's to mid 70's.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
My keeper 1977 E12 has the old style, while my 1980 parts car has the new style. I can't wait for the keeper to run the new style. As Mike says, the bolt on the bottom combination is a PITA.Mike W. wrote:A quick search confirmed what sounded right, you have the later oil filter. Some years were iffy, but I think 76 was definitely old style. Someone did you a big favor, I presume it has an aluminum canister with a bolt that goes in the top? The old style are vile, you have to lay on your back and compress a spring while aligning everything and threading a bolt in. Order a newer filter, one from say an 80 528i. Or a E28 533i. Aluminum with top bolt = late 70's to late 80's. Red (usually, I painted one) steel canister with a bottom bolt = late 60's to mid 70's.
1977 BMW 530i
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)