Anyone ever add one to a 530i? Local independent BMW mechanic swears by the prepump to fix mysterious hot starting issues at altitude (vapor lock).
I'm 99.9% certain the 77 530i doesn't have one, although realoem has "from 8/76" on most all the fuel tank associated items to further confuse this issue. This potential upgrade becomes a whole lot easier if it can be done with the 77 530i gas tank.
fuel prepump
- Robert Bondi
- Posts: 406
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:33 am
- Location: Austin, TX
fuel prepump
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
77 530i
77 Euro 528
-
stewart in slc
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm
prepump
I think the pre pump should fit in the tank as all the post 76 tanks are the same. Wiring it and possibly a new fuel level sending unit would be the issues I can see.
fuel prepump
I install a euro 70 liter tank in my US cars, the euro tanks don't run a pre-pump. IIRC the euro cars have a different pump than the US cars, and I believe this accounts for the lack of the in-tank pump. You might look for a pump for a euro car.
...tom
-----Original Message-----
From: stewart in slc <s.c.gilmore@m.cc.utah.edu>
To: tech_forum <tech_forum@firstfives.org>
Sent: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 10:58 am
Subject: Re: fuel prepump
#AOLMsgPart_1_ed61fa8c-5aa0-41f1-a86e-850d924210b2 td{color: black;} I think the pre pump should fit in the tank as all the post 76 tanks are the same. Wiring it and possibly a new fuel level sending unit would be the issues I can see.
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
...tom
-----Original Message-----
From: stewart in slc <s.c.gilmore@m.cc.utah.edu>
To: tech_forum <tech_forum@firstfives.org>
Sent: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 10:58 am
Subject: Re: fuel prepump
#AOLMsgPart_1_ed61fa8c-5aa0-41f1-a86e-850d924210b2 td{color: black;} I think the pre pump should fit in the tank as all the post 76 tanks are the same. Wiring it and possibly a new fuel level sending unit would be the issues I can see.
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
...tom
and now an '80 528i, the 7th and last in the series
1981 528i, no. 6 in a series... only 270 k miles
and now an '80 528i, the 7th and last in the series
1981 528i, no. 6 in a series... only 270 k miles
I've had a bunch of BMWs with prepumps and I don't think any of them worked. As far as I can tell the only downside is you can't get it as empty, ie the 16.4 tank will quit running at ~15.4. 77 did not come with it, nor are all 77+ tanks the same, 79+ are the same as E28 which use 6 or 8 studs to hold it all in place rather than the twist lock like E3s/early E12s did. IIRC certain year E21s used a compatible suction device with a prepump which was twistlock, but no reason to bother IMO.
Avoiding vaporlock is a longshot, twice on E28s I had a pump failure/vapor lock under extreme conditions. A long run after starting out in the heat, 100+, then 100 miles with over 110F going uphill for an extended run. A working prepump may have prevented that.
Avoiding vaporlock is a longshot, twice on E28s I had a pump failure/vapor lock under extreme conditions. A long run after starting out in the heat, 100+, then 100 miles with over 110F going uphill for an extended run. A working prepump may have prevented that.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.