Post > Pre facelift swap
Post > Pre facelift swap
Hi,
my 80 e12 is fighting a battle with rust I think I'd rather resolve with a transplant of the powertrain and suspension++ into a cleaner chassis.
I live in California so all the dmv fun applies.
I think I've located a German 1975 525 that's already been DOT approved, which is very appealing to me.
Optimally, I'd swap the bits straight across from the 80 which has already had swapped In a dirty m30 with 265, HR and billies.
Is this as easy (relatively) as i am thinking ? Plug and play essentially - okay -'lots of plugging and playing or are there significant challenges going pre facelift I need to address?
Thx
my 80 e12 is fighting a battle with rust I think I'd rather resolve with a transplant of the powertrain and suspension++ into a cleaner chassis.
I live in California so all the dmv fun applies.
I think I've located a German 1975 525 that's already been DOT approved, which is very appealing to me.
Optimally, I'd swap the bits straight across from the 80 which has already had swapped In a dirty m30 with 265, HR and billies.
Is this as easy (relatively) as i am thinking ? Plug and play essentially - okay -'lots of plugging and playing or are there significant challenges going pre facelift I need to address?
Thx
Yeah, I think it would be pretty straightforward. Realoem is a resource like usual with those sorts of things.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
- CabbageFumes
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 pm
- Location: Funkytown
- CabbageFumes
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 pm
- Location: Funkytown
- CabbageFumes
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 pm
- Location: Funkytown
You can make it a little easier on yourself if you swap out your front strut housings with later ones. 75-76 models had a lot of revisions and a lot of one or two year only parts for the front suspension and brakes. I took everything up front from an '80 because parts are much easier to come by, plus more choices for struts, including Bilstein Sport struts.
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69