Yeah maybe inch or 2. I'm only 5'6 but it didn't seem that noticeable. Probably because I sank so low in the originals
e12`s are awesome
Re: e12`s are awesome
Scott
81 528i
14 AMG CLS63 wife's
79 911 SC
81 528i
14 AMG CLS63 wife's
79 911 SC
Re: e12`s are awesome
OK, so tank's off the car and ... wrong! It's a bit of a mess inside, rust everywhere. And my in-tank pre-pump has clumps of rust that resemble barnacles, luckily I picked up a spare awhile ago. I've ordered a new tank, which is truly horrible from a budgetary perspective. But I can't risk buying another clean-looking one on eBay with a leaky seam weld, which is where this started.
Does anyone know of a good substitute for the foam "base" strips on top of the tank? I was thinking closed-cell neoprene, which is gasoline resistant, but the original strips are open cell of unknown composition. Do I even care about gasoline resistance for an insulator outside the tank? I might be overthinking this, but the old strips were pretty nasty after absorbing 40+ years of crud.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
1981 528i Manual
Re: e12`s are awesome
Maybe I'm too reckless, but I"d just get some foam weatherstripping and put it down. Weak adhesive but some and with tank that doesn't leak I wouldn't worry about gasoline resistance.528i-1981 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 11:40 pm
Does anyone know of a good substitute for the foam "base" strips on top of the tank? I was thinking closed-cell neoprene, which is gasoline resistant, but the original strips are open cell of unknown composition. Do I even care about gasoline resistance for an insulator outside the tank? I might be overthinking this, but the old strips were pretty nasty after absorbing 40+ years of crud.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
- Robert Bondi
- Posts: 406
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:33 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: e12`s are awesome
I'd replace the weatherstripping foam on top of the tank, but it shouldn't see any gasoline, so that criterion should not matter. I got a new 70L tank for the Euro restoration car, but still need to do the project. I figured it was a certainty I probably wouldn't like what I find, so bought it up front.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
77 530i
77 Euro 528